Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tent Rocks National Monument

As promised, some pictures from the weekend get-away.  I actually did NOT take any pictures of Santa Fe.  It's your dessert/high plains town.  Cool-looking adobe/clay buildings.  Awesome lights in the evening.  LOTS of dried chili pepper bouquets hanging everywhere.  Now that I think about it - I wish I got a couple of pics of that...

On Sunday, we checked out of Santa Fe early in the day, picked up some sandwiches at Whole Foods and drove down to the Cochiti reservation to get to the monument.  The pictures are unbelievable and seeing it in person, took our breath away.  It was over a 600 feet climb to reach the top of the trail.  Of course, I did not have appropriate footwear, but still made it.  The scenery was unbelievable. At times, it felt like we were on a different planet...

I was kind of out of breath the entire time - not because I'm THAT out of shape, but because we were already at 7000 feet above sea-level.  It was hard to get used to.  The day was super cold and the combination of wind and sun really took a toll.  But I would do this hike all over again.  It was too beautiful and amazing!













No comments:

Post a Comment