Thursday, June 30, 2011

Genius

I recently heard about a left-coast artist - Jim Denevan.  His work is beautiful, meditative and humbling.  Creating ephemeral designs in sand, ice or earth, these images are short-lived at the cycle of nature.  To me, it's humbling.  I love working with metals because I feel that they are lasting, to a degree.  The tangible nature of a piece of jewelry declares a permanence, that is until they are altered or destroyed by man.  The idea of creating art within the boundaries of what nature provides, with the knowledge that nature will take-away, speaks volumes about the acceptance of how life IS both permanent and impermanent.  There is always something more powerful than you and despite how controlled you may be in the minutiae of daily life, you will always bend to the will of nature.

But enough of my meandering.  Here are some images for you to feast on...







No comments:

Post a Comment